Hugs and Kisses Cake

The preparation ....and almost final product....



The preparation ....and almost final product....


Quiet, but not calm…sums it up.
It doesn’t seem believable if you know me, my life, or even a little of what my job entails. (and some days a little is more than enough:) I haven’t had anything newsworthy, or noteworthy to blog about for so long, so I guess I just have a few “comings and goings” that I can post about.
Valentine’s was pretty quiet. James had kempo, so he was gone that night. I made a “real” dinner (which actually, was probably a treat for him, because I gave up cooking when I started grad school and even through I’ve gone through two master’s programs (I didn’t learn my lesson the first time:P) I still don’t really cook) and gave him a little homemade gift certificate for Utopia. It is a bit of a joke around here… not that living with me is utopia, far from it I’m afraid, but rather it is a day spa that is in our area, by which I mean about an hour away, that is FABULOUS!
It had been a stressful week at work, and that was about all I was able to pull together…
As for the rest of the week, which means work, work, work, there was a lot going on. Valentine’s Day itself was actually pretty quiet. I wasn’t able to do a big party, (because I didn’t have the energy or mental focus:) so we (my aide and I) had what we told the kids was a “big snack”. They are 3-6 year olds, and didn’t seem to care what it was, as long as junk food was involved. Usually, we try to not have a ton of junk food, so they felt lucky! As a class we made a “Hugs and Kisses Cake” which was our featured treat for the day. I had a lot of fun putting treat bags together. After years (and it has been years) of wanting and then postponing, I finally ordered a bunch of stuff from Oriental Trading. It was probably the best thing I could have done, otherwise, there probably would not have been goodie bags at all! -So much easier than driving myself crazy at Wal-Mart and the Dollar Store trying to sort and compile.
It doesn’t seem believable if you know me, my life, or even a little of what my job entails. (and some days a little is more than enough:) I haven’t had anything newsworthy, or noteworthy to blog about for so long, so I guess I just have a few “comings and goings” that I can post about.
Valentine’s was pretty quiet. James had kempo, so he was gone that night. I made a “real” dinner (which actually, was probably a treat for him, because I gave up cooking when I started grad school and even through I’ve gone through two master’s programs (I didn’t learn my lesson the first time:P) I still don’t really cook) and gave him a little homemade gift certificate for Utopia. It is a bit of a joke around here… not that living with me is utopia, far from it I’m afraid, but rather it is a day spa that is in our area, by which I mean about an hour away, that is FABULOUS!
It had been a stressful week at work, and that was about all I was able to pull together…
As for the rest of the week, which means work, work, work, there was a lot going on. Valentine’s Day itself was actually pretty quiet. I wasn’t able to do a big party, (because I didn’t have the energy or mental focus:) so we (my aide and I) had what we told the kids was a “big snack”. They are 3-6 year olds, and didn’t seem to care what it was, as long as junk food was involved. Usually, we try to not have a ton of junk food, so they felt lucky! As a class we made a “Hugs and Kisses Cake” which was our featured treat for the day. I had a lot of fun putting treat bags together. After years (and it has been years) of wanting and then postponing, I finally ordered a bunch of stuff from Oriental Trading. It was probably the best thing I could have done, otherwise, there probably would not have been goodie bags at all! -So much easier than driving myself crazy at Wal-Mart and the Dollar Store trying to sort and compile.
I had (what I would consider) a week of "Good Mail"- and will blog about it later. (which was fun, because I usually don't get any mail, except for professional journals... I've had enough technical glitches with this post...and I need a break:)
5 comments:
What would it take to commission you to make a cake like that during a spring break visit??? Maybe a few days of board and room?? I'll bet your kids enjoyed the day.
Well, I don't normally cook at my own home, but I guess at someone else's would be ok!... The nice thing about the recipe is that even though there are Hershey's Kisses and Hugs in it...it is actually not a "really sweet" cake. Our version was thicker than what the recipe originally called for, but I can't fit a 9 x13 pan in my classroom oven, so we had to use an 8x8/9x9 and that changed the thickness... The kids loved it, though.
I had been waiting for your Valentines post, I knew you would do something for your kids! The dollar store is always hit or miss for me, I think you are wise to just go to Oriental. Cute bags, the cake sounds soooo good.
The cake looks yummy - what fun Valentine's goodies and treat bags. Your class must have loved the day (our schools will be celebrating Valentine's Day on the 20th - we've been out of school with snow/ice since a early-release day on the 13th).
Looks like a fun day! The cake sounds yummy!
I LOVE OTC...glad to hear is is making your life easier!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment