Monday, January 19, 2009


Irish Haystacks Anyone?!...
So, last night I actually made dinner. Not take it out of the box and boil, or take it out of the freezer and put it in the oven :P.... Well, I have this new cookbook and there is a recipe for Hawaiian Haystacks. I had them at a stake leadership meeting a few months ago, and I thought it was yummy. (I didn't put all the extras on it...I'm not that daring...;) Anyway, I was excited to have what looked like a good recipe, and although the recipe will not win any awards for being low-fat, it looked pretty easy, so I decided to give it a try.
I was almost done, chicken and sauce well on their way, and I went to get out the rice to start cooking it....there in laid the problem. I couldn't find the rice ANYWHERE! I don't remember using it all, but I must have, because, it was nowhere to be found! :( So now I had all this chicken and gravy mixture, and was trying to figure out what else I could use as the base, since apparently, rice was not an option... I asked James what he would choose, and he voted for mashed potatoes, which I did have. It actually tasted great, and dinner wasn't completely ruined. Now, I have lots of leftovers, and I figure if I pick up rice at the store this week, it will be like having a completely new and different meal! ;)
So, I have renamed my version "Irish Haystacks". Please feel free to tweak your recipes to make the same!;) If you don't have the traditional recipe (I'm sure most people do...let me know, and I'll post it.;)
(Who knew I could blog so much about a botched dinner?!;)

1 comment:

Serendipity said...

Love how you put a fun twist on a 'what could be frustrating dinner'! We love haystacks...we'll have to try your version!